Wednesday, December 24, 2008

An Invitation to All

It dawned on the teacher part of me that before I retired, if someone had gone on a trip like this, I might have wanted my students to follow along. Thus, I'm inviting you; friends, students, teachers and all interested folk to bookmark this blog. I promise to update it as often as possible. The best that'll be is on each weekend. Since I need to wait for a gellah-gellah to be full enough to leave Makumbaya and then travel about a half hour to Brikama and then stand in line, sometimes for 2 hours, to get into the internet cafe to upload what I've written during the week, all I can promise is that I'll try to publish new posts each weekend. If anyone has left questions on the blog, I'll try to answer them. 

Right now, I would say that I'll be keeping you abreast on the following.
1. My life within the compound.
2. Teaching in the school.
3. Village life.
4. Any lessons I take on traditional instruments.
5. Any pop music I hear on Friday or Saturday evenings.

If you'd like to contact me by email BEFORE my departure, please write to hkopf@ptd.net. 


8 comments:

Safiyyah said...

Greetings of Peace:

Nice blog; I shall definitely follow you as you go forward with this wonderful opportunity!

Anne said...

Good luck to you and safe travels. Will enjoy watching your blog and keeping updated on your adventure!
Anne and Norb

Jean said...

What an adventure! I look forward to keeping up with you on your blog. Have a wonderful and very satisfying experience. --Jean Lumpkin

drphil said...

Hello Hope,

What an exciting adventure and wonderful opportunity to give back. I look forward to following your blog.

Sandy "aka Dr. Phil" Mabery

Jane said...

Guaranteed I'll be leaving you with weekly questions while you are in The Gambia. The past three months that you're been my West African drumming Facilitator/friend,you have taught me alot. The children who will be under your care are a lucky bunch...I know you will give them 150%.

Art Deco said...

Hello Hope. It's Sunday evening in PA, so I guess you are just arriving. We are reading a book on a woman who spent 2 years in Mali about 10 years ago - It's probably as close to Gambia as we will get at the local bookstore.

Nothing else to say, just thought I'd leave you a comment for you to see the first time you get to an internet connection.

Safiyyah said...

Greetings of Peace Hope,

I join Art Deco in wishing you well. Have fun, as I know you will, and keep us posted :)

Art Deco said...

Hi Hope;

In a way that sounds like home- only it would be a dog hoping you dropped some rice, not a chicken.

Do all guests get a personel bowl?