Friday, February 6, 2009

School News and maybe a plea

I finally gave in and presented a workshop on Jolly Phonics. From my observations, I saw that the children know the songs, but there is NO connection between knowing the sounds of letters and blending them into words. Never have I heard a child try to sound out a word. Never are they asked to. Never have I seen it practiced in any way. Thus, the workshop. I was really pleased with the reaction of the teachers, from asking for help ahead of time to talking more and more about their teaching after. It's going to be a tough and tedious process for the teachers to turn the children into readers rather than rote responders. Most seem up for the task although I'm not sure how much they understand yet.

MondoChallenge had provided training for some teachers and a volunteer had provided many supplies (perhaps with MondoChallenge's help). Unfortunately, only one of the trained teachers remains at the school. And most of the supplies went along with the transferred teachers. Thus, we're starting near zero in many ways. There are a few supplies that I must have and will pay for myself unless MondoChallenge or my friends assist. Every teacher must have a copy of the songs and a copy of a small book of word banks. The latter is being printed this weekend. Fifty pages at two dalasi per page for fifteen teachers. That's only 750 dalasi, so I said go ahead. The songs I'll do soon although I've hand written two copies already.

The other item which is desperately needed is the little composition books the children use. Their parents are supposed to buy them, but often can't or don't. Thus the children sit with nothing to do. The cost is only five for a dollar. I'd love to be able to pass them out to those I see are in need or the teachers say are in need. Many supplies sit in the office (not composition books) and are not offered to teachers or students. Thus, I want control. If anyone wants to contribute, just let Ken know and he'll make deposits to our account. Next weekend I may be able to get to an ATM. So far, I haven't been to Banjul where the country's three ATMs are located!!!!

That's all for now. Thinking about you all, and enjoying the challenges life brings.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hope! what a great thing to read your work! and what great work you are doing! life is same, same, but different here. not a lot going on. mom is actually holding her own quite nicely!
went to hear the Czek Republic National Orchestra tonight with Paavali Jumppaanan (pianist) it was fabulous!
mr. mitchell is in Memphis with Ann K. haven't heard anything, although i'll call him soon. much love, my dear, annie

yvonne said...

Hi Hope -
it's so fascingting to read about all of your adventures - granted some are more fun than others!Just don't get too frustrated with all of the challenges. I'm hopeful you'll soon find some drumming opportunities...will contact Ken directly. We're thinking of you! love,
-yvonne

KJ said...

We have 3 donation for school materials, , , keep on keeping on . . . I need pics for the brochure!!! GAZORT!!!!

KJ