Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Under the Cashew Trees

Under the Cashew Trees had to be the name of an entry, since so much time is spent there. I don't know the temperatures since I have no radio, tv, newspaper, etc and since it would be in Celsius and I don't remember how to translate that, it doesn't much matter how hot it is. The afternoons are usually hot, but I realize that I don't mind it too much. We spend a lot of time sitting in the shade of the cashew trees.

The cashew nuts are available now. It's interesting to see how the people take a handful, bury them under some brush, light a fire, watch it burn while you play around a little with it, and then when the fire is out, find the cashews. Immediately, someone takes two rocks and begins opening them. My, they are delicious. (Almost as good as the fresh bananas!)

There eventually will be a fruit which is shaped a lot like a red pepper. It's skin is so delicate that they're never shipped. Yet I understand they're a delicious fruit. I'll tell you more when I know first hand.

Under the Cashew Trees, there is always a breeze. And there are usually people gathered. At the Kaira Kunda (Google it. IT's Pa's Music School that has incredible potential.) many of my kora lessons happen under the tree. I didn't understand why early on in my lessons, Pa, Binta, Boss and Modou were encouraging me to stay there, 24/7. It took a while to realize that a lesson isn't just an hour committment. Pa teaches a phrase and then you practice it until it's really natural. Then he'll return, play that phrase within the rest of the conposition and then show a new section. I practice at least 3 hours a day and at least 2 of those hours are parts of lessons. I'm really still a beginner and get really frustrated at how slowly I learn and how quickly I forget. Just last night, Pa played a phrase and said he hadn't heard me practicing it lately. He was right. I'd totally forgotten it. He had to completely reteach it. Thank goodness he's a patient man. I'm trying to write down the music, but it's difficult. Without that, it's me trying to be an aural learner. Of all the learning modalities, that was my poorist. Cross that fact with my lack of memory and you'll see the frustration. Yet all that frustrastion is surrounded with so much positive life that I can't complain.

Back to the cashew trees. People often gather there just to talk and laugh. Mealtimes often happen there too. A large covered bowl is placed on the ground and everyone gets around it. A couple people use a spoon, but most use their right hand. I'm really messy at that, but I do enjoy it. And it's alright to be messy. Anything that falls on the ground will be chicken food. No waste there.

My internet cafe time is about to end. This has been the least frustrating time I've spent here in ages. Still hoping to have wireless internet at Kaira Kunda, but don't have any idea of when. Everything takes longer than you think it possibly can here.

5 comments:

Safiyyah said...

Greetings of Peace Hope!

Your last two posts have been awesome! I'm so happy for you that you're having this wonderful opportunity. I can't wait until you come home so I can hear you play what you have learned. Keep well my friend.

Ma'Salaama
Safiyyah

Margaret on the Susquehanna said...

You go, girl! i just love reading your blog/life. i'm so proud of you, and a little jealous, too! Miss you terribly.

Jane said...

How fast the time seems to be going while reading each of your stories weekly. Its fascinating.The meals you say are sooooooooo fresh. AWESOME! I wish you had someone who had filmed your experience. What an amazing movie it would have been.

KJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
manya said...

Your joy and enthusiasm flow like juice from a ripe fruit.

I can taste the sweetness here!

Thanks for sharing so vividly your life in The Gambia.

Love,
Manya