Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weirdness in Makumbya

Nice title, huh! According to my loving husband, Ken, the news from Makumbaya made the New York Times the other day. Twelve people were arrested. There has been a dispute over land between Makumbaya and another village for many years. There has even been destruction of some property. I really don't know details, except that the ladies in my compound are scared to even talk about it because you never know who is an "informer." I've been told there was also a witchhunt last week in which several were arrested and one wound up dying. Obviously there is much turmoil in town and because of it, Pa's concert has been postponed indefinitely. I hope it happens while I'm here, but who knows. Now I feel as though I'm in a different Africa. This country is all about love, acceptance, and enjoying what life offers. Makumbaya doesn't feel like the Gambia I've experienced any place else.
Because a couple teachers suggested that I might want to go away for a week while things settle down, I haven't been to school again and won't be until next Monday. There's no way I want to end up in some jail! Thus, plans are going forward with Kaira Kunda.

1 comment:

Safiyyah said...

OMG Hope! Be careful!