Saturday, January 24, 2009

More Compound Experiences

Before I came, I found a place called Couch Surfing where travelers can find someone to meet in a country or even to stay with. I began corresponding with a 32 year old teacher with a wife and three children. Today, I met him and without his help, I would have had a lot more difficulty posting these blogs. He really knows his way around the technology here. (Don't worry Ken. I doubt he has had the opportunity to learn and experience all you have.)
Lamin met me at the gellah gellah garage with his friend Kabo who, luckily for me, has a car. We went to Lamin's compound where, not only did I meet his family, but his wife, Maddy had made the most delicious domada I've had. (A far cry from mine, for those who've tasted it!) It's most interesting to compare it to the four or five times I've had it in Makumbaya. It was rich tasting and probably had a whole chicken in it. In Makumbaya, there has never been any meat. I think it shows the economy of the two families. Here I ate from a common bowl with spoons. I was joined only by the three men. When the visitors left, Matty and the children joined in. It was a lovely affair.
Lamin took me to a Western Union which is the only place open after noon Saturday where you can get money. VISA is no longer effective in the Gambia!!! Thanks, Rough Guide for telling me it's the best way to get money! Western Union is supposed to be the lowest rate, but instead I received 26,000 dalasi instead of the 22,000 on my first day.
Now we're back at the Internet Cafe where he knows everyone (works here part time) and we've had attaya. (That might be spelled wrong, but it's the super strong green tea with tons of sugar.) From here we're going to here music from Guinea. I met the drummer at Lamin's compound earlier today. Unfortunately, music doesn't start until midnight, so I'll be bushed tomorrow. Luckily I can attend because I have a ride home.

4 comments:

Safiyyah said...

My Dear Hope:

I'm so glad that you have arrived safely, and are enjoying yourself! We are FREEZING here in PA!

Drummer Girl said...

My dearier Hope, As well, so so very happy you are installed in a beautiful place with wonderful people and drummers. I can't wait to read this every day; so thankful you got the computer help... lots of love and send pics soon, can't wait to meet all your new friends. Yes, it is snowing and icing. Flora Kate

Ann Keeler Evans, M.Div. said...

Hope!
How fun! and how great that you're out there exploring, experiencing and having a good old time. Just got mr. mitchell back from ohio, in time for our anni... pretty fun, eh? glad you're managing the food and loo... always a challenge. sounds like you're falling in love w/ people & culture & that's what it's all about!
xoxoxoa
our old ladies are missing you!

Jane said...

Good luck befalls you! wonderful you got in with the teacher and a car......Stay up late Hope.....absorb it all...you can catch up on your sleep on the plane fight back!