Saturday, January 24, 2009

My First Week

Gambia is an incredible trip! The people are so friendly and helpful, I see why it's advertised as "The Smiling Coast."
The acomodations in Makumbaya are not exactly as shown in Meagan's blog. I have a private drop loo, but if I want to go at night, I have to unlock my door and walk around a building and a bunch of other things, remove a stick that holds the tin and wood door closed and be sure to have water with me. Not bad, just unanticipated. \
In living in the compound, I see a huge strength of the country. The extended family is wonderful to observe. There are five young mothers, three fathers and ten children. The oldest three go to nursery school. Watching the family interact is such a treat. Although I am fed in a separate bowl and given a spoon, the rest of the women and children gather around one huge bowl on the ground. Most use their right hand to eat. It's a site to observe. The chickens are nearby to clean up any of the rice that falls. Yes, there's rice and rice and rice. I must admit though, I've enjoyed every Gambian dish that I've had. I didn't enjoy eating the bones of the fish, although it was alright to drop then on the ground for the animals.
The gellah-gellah are amazing. I have traveled on them anytime I've gone to or from Makumbaya. They are vans that are licensed for 22 people. So far I only seen 18 plus a few babies. Each one has an apprentice who controls the door and collects money. Often the doors keep coming open. It's totally amazing that people don't get hurt. At the same time riding in them is a joy. They wait to leave until there are "enough" passengers. Then they also pick up along the way. Sometimes it's things they're also picking up, like the time it stopped at a quarry. We waited while they filled three huge bags with zigon. I don't know the spelling or the use except that it's edible, but pregnant women shouldn't eat it. I tried it and it seem tasteless, so there must be a reason to consume it.
The school where I'll be working has huge classes, but they are really energetic and well behaved. The Jolly Phonics are sung with gusto. Unfortunately, usually I can't understand the words. For those of you who know me, you know how difficult accents are for me to understand. On top of that, these are children learning a third, fourth or fifth language! I'm actually impressed with what I've seen teaching wise, but I haven't seen much. I'll be observing and making suggestions beginning next week. This week, I'll be teaching a spelling exercise that will allow everyone to continually be taking part and give every student many times to hear the correct spelling.
Music-wise, I've had two incredible experiences. Both are meeting the top kora players in their compounds. At Jaliba Kuyateh's compound, I met him and listened to a practice. (More details later) Today, I visited with Malamini and PaBobo Jobarteh. I will be taking lessons from PaBobo and learning local stories from his dad, Malamini. I continue to find it amazing that you can actually interact with the top performers.
Next time I get to the internet, I hope to have my entry on a thumb drive as well as photos.

3 comments:

than said...

Sounds wonderful....not for me.
Keep up the great work.

Than

Peggy said...

Have you seen any jungle animals yet? Remember, you don't have to be faster than the lions, tigers and cheetahs...only faster than your guide!

Peg

Jane said...

Hope..what are the children like while you are in the classroom with them....do they approach you with questions? Are they timid? I'd love to be with you when you take a ride on their bus....And you tried that picked up food!Hey Watch yourself! You sound real enthused! Im happy for you...